Saturday, March 29, 2008

Our First Night

The two nights we spent in the hospital we made the difficult decision to send Hannah to the nursery so we could get some much needed sleep. When the nurse would bring her in for feedings I would ask how everything was going with Hannah. She acted like no big deal she is doing great in the nursery. So...assuming that I have the perfect child who sleeps and only wakes up every three hours to be fed...I decide to decline the numerous offers of family to stay overnight with us and help out. I have now since realized the nurse was not disclosing all the information I needed to make an educated decision. She must have been sparing my feelings in my emotional state. Hannah was perfect all day and spent hours curled up with Jeremy and then with me in the recliner sleeping. I think she was just showing off for her grandparents...proving she is really the perfect grandchild. At 10:00pm it is bed time...she is wide awake and nothing makes her happy. I wanted to drive back to the hospital and see if we could leave her in the nursery (just kidding). Five hours later and still no progress...I finally breakdown and call my mom. She gets here around 3:30am and takes over. Thank goodness for mothers! I get around 3 1/2 hours of sleep (keep in mind I am a 9 hours of sleep a night kind of girl)...at this point anything is GREAT!!! All Hannah wanted was to be held all night. Which Jeremy and I would have done if we weren't worried about falling asleep and smothering her. We know it is a learning process and we are taking one day at a time. It is so crazy that no matter how tired or how frustrated I was that all I could think was how much I love this tiny little person and all I wanted to do was make her happy. Now, I don't want you all to think I am a bad mother and have spent all day on the computer blogging...Hannah and Jeremy have been right here in the bed next to me the whole time. Hannah definately has her days and nights mixed up. She has been sleeping this whole time and Jeremy has been (of course) playing his PSP.

I'm sure we are in for another eye-opening experience tonight :) However, I wouldn't trade it for anything!

No comments: